We are looking for someone to join our kitchen team who cater daily for the 80 residents and colleagues within the family-run business. Birtley House core values are Kindness, Integrity, Positivity and Adaptability.
Shifts available include:
- Weekdays 12.30 to 8pm
- Weekends 8am to 8pm
with an hourly pay rate of £9.50 an hour.
Purpose of Position
Responsible for the cleanliness, hygiene and restocking of the pantry and kitchen areas, and the cleaning of all cutlery, crockery, kitchen utensils, catering equipment and all other cleaning duties required for the kitchen areas.
- To ensure safe working practices are being followed, maintaining vigilance and caution whilst working in a dangerous environment containing knives and hot surfaces
- To ensure all pantry and kitchen equipment, utensils and areas; i.e. cutlery, china, pots, pans, walls, floors and fixed equipment, are kept in a clean manner at all times
- To follow the Kitchen Assistants’ daily routine sheet and complete all reasonable tasking’s
- To carry out daily cleaning requirements according to the cleaning schedule
- To comply with all COSHH regulations and wear correct PPE whilst carrying out cleaning duties as laid down in the manufactures guidelines and to follow the Food Hygiene Policy. Ensure all cleaning agents to be stored in a safe place in accordance with the Company’s COSHH Policy, and labelled correctly. Reporting any issues to the Chef Manager
- Washing up of cutlery and crockery is to be completed using the dishwasher provided as instructed. All cutlery and crockery to be kept in good clean condition and is to be stored in designated areas, all items from each pantry are to be returned periodically as detailed in the Pantry Assistants’ daily routine sheet, to ensure sufficient items are available in all locations
- All pantry and kitchen surfaces, cupboards and shelves to be kept clean at all times, with specific cleaning undertaken at times directed by the Chef de Partie and/or Chef Manager
- To assist the Chef de Partie with Kitchen Porter duties in the kitchen, and his/her staff as required, for example, transporting items within the kitchen, cleaning the kitchen and assisting with breakfasts etc. In respect of these and similar duties, in the kitchen only, the Chef de Partie will direct your work
- Dispose of rubbish appropriately following the correct waste management procedures, as directed by the Chef de Partie and/or Chef Manager
- To exercise care in handling all breakable items, log any damages/breakages in the breakages folder and report these to the Chef Manager
- To make sure all equipment is left in a clean and safe manner at the end of each day
- To be aware of, and comply with, all statutory health, safety, hygiene and food safety regulations
- To ensure that all food is stored in accordance with the above regulations and assist with putting stores away in a safe & hygienic manner using correct manual handling techniques, as instructed by the Chef Manager
- To ensure all food safety and HACCP procedures are completed in accordance with the Food Hygiene Policy
- Maintain the highest levels of hygiene and cleanliness throughout the Kitchen and to maintain high levels of personal hygiene
- To be aware of any specific dietary requirements of residents
- To ensure all reasonable steps are taken to prevent wastage of food items
- To wear suitable clothing and footwear at all times in adherence to the Uniform Policy
- Report all accidents to the Chef Manager and record it in the Accident Report Book. Should an injury not improve, seek medical advice
- To report to the Chef Manager any faulty equipment, any faults or hazards within the kitchen area
- To read, understand and adhere to the Food Hygiene Policy in all aspects
- To be responsible for reading all other Company Policies and Procedures and adhere to them
- You will work on a rota as required, which will include weekends and bank holidays
- To attend an appraisal on an annual basis and identify training needs
- To attend a minimum of 4 supervision meetings per annum
- To develop and maintain own knowledge and skills
- To attend all mandatory training as directed
- To undertake such other duties as may be mutually determined from time to time.
Training and Development
- Remain committed to maintaining and improving one’s own professional knowledge and competence
- Attend all mandatory training courses as directed
- Attend and participate in the annual appraisal process, working together with the Registered Manager to identify training needs and ideas for further development.
Health & Safety
- It is your responsibility to read all the company’s policies and procedures, keep up to take with Company regulations and adhere to them
- It is your responsibility to report any hazards to the Chef Manager/Registered Manager
- Report all Staff and/or residents’ accidents to the most senior trained staff member on duty and complete the appropriate documentation immediately.
Fixed Hourly Contract Benefits
- Bank Holiday Enhancements
- FREE DBS check
- FREE onsite parking
- FREE Homecooked meals, and refreshments that are varied weekly
- Contributory Pension Scheme – Employee 5%, Employer 3%
- Health Cash Plan & Employee Assistance Scheme: Cashback towards regular dental/optical costs
- Membership to the Westfields exclusive deals and discounts club, valid at 100s of retailers
- Refer a Friend to Birtley who successfully passes our Induction and Training Scheme and earn yourself a £250 bonus*.
Following a Successful Probation Access to:
- Techscheme.co.uk: Powered by Apple & PC World/Currys. Get the latest tech and spread the cost with up to 12 monthly payments from your salary
- Cyclescheme.co.uk: Save 25-39% of the cost of a new bike & accessories whilst also spreading the cost.
Excluding bank zero hours.
Due to our rural location access to a vehicle is useful, as public transport to the house is limited.
All job offers are subject to receipt of satisfactory completion of an enhanced DBS check and references. It is a legal requirement that everyone who works or volunteers in our care home is fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they are under the age of 18 or have a medical exemption. This also applies to anyone entering the care home for a job interview.
Please note: You can demonstrate your COVID-19 vaccination status using the NHS COVID Pass service via the following routes:
•The NHS App
•The NHS website
•The NHS COVID Pass Letter
•The NHS appointment card cannot be used as proof of vaccination status.
This job description reflects the culture and core values of Birtley House which actively promote team spirit and the aims to ‘be the best’.
*Terms and conditions apply